Saturday, January 1, 2011

Date night

Well, I meant to stop eating and drinking as of today (because Karma hit me-thanks Karen) but forgot it was date night. Hubby and I are going do enjoy leisurely shopping with our gift cards and then dinner. Emphasis on leisurely-no 8 and 11 year old boys in their right minds would enjoy going to Pier One or The Buckle with their parents so it is best to shop without them. I like date night. Always a time to reconnect-especially after the last two weeks of craziness.
The boys love date night also. They look on it as their chance to "party" without us. Yes "party" was their word, not mine. (They are as I am blogging preparing right now) I think they have party on the brain because we celebrated last night. So anyway they have been planning their party all day. 3 hours of uninterrupted video games and a huge spread of food, Big Fry proudly announced "I bet I'll gain a pound". Here was their list-I tried to make it a learning experience so they HAD to make a list.

To get: candy, jellybean pop, cookies, cupcakes (too much work to bake so it was crossed off), balloons, straws (no balloons or straws, party place was closed). They then asked me to set out my fancy serving trays so they could make it all "fancy". And are taking them DOWNSTAIRS-Gulp, I told them I do not want any orange cheetoh smears on my cow rug.
The junk food is enough to make me grimace. Are we indulging? Yes, but here is what I love, they planned it TOGETHER for EACH OTHER. They are at an age where niceness to your sibling is difficult-a cool middle schooler does not do "kid" things like his 3rd grade brother. I love seeing them collaborate and be excited about something that is all their own. It warms my heart.

Now my heart will be very cold if I find one single cheeto on that rug! And note to self we will NEVER leave them alone for overnight when they are older-they are excellent party planners-I don't even want to imagine!!

4 comments:

Karen said...

Yay, date night!!

We went on a date to the grocery store last night. I was desperate to talk to my husband without big ears and big mouths interrupting. It was great!

My grocery list?

bananas
lunch baggies

Length of date?
15 minutes

carey said...

oh, i hope you had a fun date night. we are getting to a place here where we can leave the boys at home for an hour or maybe two...it's GREAT. i can see my boys doing exactly what your boys did. it makes it easier to go out without them when they are practically pushing you out the door.

did you get anything fun while shopping?

bobbione8y said...

i love how this whole post about your date night is about the boys :))

cherk said...

Bobbi-isn't that ironic:) And maybe a little sad!
Karen-Grocery shopping totally counts as a date-get it when you can
Carey-It is fun when they reach that age. It has given hubby and I more time together. We went to the buckle-tops-no jeans for me-after my xmas binging there is now way I was doing that to my self esteem! And cool funky things from pier 1