Wednesday, January 26, 2011

Honesty, Part 2

Thank goodness for third graders that true complete honesty isn't too alarming...
Me-So what do you want to be totally honest about?
SF (small fry)-Ok well here goes, I watched Twilight with Big Fry
Me-Oh really (see the key is to NEVER look surprised-I can do it at home and school), when was this
SF-When you had your date night
Me-Hmm anything else?
SF-and we play video games ALOT, I mean way more than you said we could when you are not home.
Me-OK, is that it?
SF-Yep and now I can be honest from here on out, are you mad? Are you really mad? Big Fry made me do all those things they were his idea. But no consequence right, because you said to always be honest.

Hence, along with this honesty, a whole box of Sam's Club Hershey bars (for camping) that mysteriously disappeared while big fry was home and some other sneaky manuevers we had a little weekend of building TRUST.

4 comments:

Karen said...

This is hard for me. I was not honest, but I expect honesty from my kids. I know that some of what they do is "normal," but I still have to uphold a standard, right?

I have also been rethinking the "don't ever show surprise" face. I'll talk about it more once I've sorted it out.

bobbione8y said...

i wish being honest always meant no consequences!! i love how they know what is right, and kind of need to get it off their chest...

cherk said...

Bobbi-coming clean does feel good, for all of us:)
Karen-I am anxious as always to hear your thinking

Chris said...

I wanna know what you did that weekend with trust building? Did you do a consequence but not immediatley after the truth session took place? How did you handle that. If it were I, I know I would not know how to react. You want them to be honest, but you don't want them to only come clean just to get of a consequence,right? I am curious to hear the rest of the story. Man, being a parent must be hard.