Wednesday, January 12, 2011

Surly

I love the word "surly" not sure what it means, but I like it. Kind of like "spangly" I made that up once and everyone at school dressed "spangly" to honor my birthday.
Back on to surly. The Big Fry woke up surly. He came home not surly. I called him to remind him of various chores and questions about homework-surly again. I got home and he was unsurly until dad reminded him that bedtime was 6:30. Yep you read that right.

Small Fry's is 7:00 and he is surly now to-actually he is more pathetic than surly.
Here is why they are surly about bedtime. Most nights when it is time to get ready for bed they are very "unsurly". There is lots wresting, whooping, pushing, hollering and continual reminders to quiet down, get ready for bed, it takes about half an hour sometimes, seriously! I equate getting ready for bed as winding down, a "quiet" activity. So after constant reminders and some whooping of our own we said "If you don't quiet down we are getting ready for bed a half an hour earlier tomorrow". Well there was more yelling. 7:30 has now become 7. Small fry got the message and pattered off, only losing a half an hour. Big Fry as usual is a little more, shall we say...scattered. He comes out running doing his best Tom Cruise impersonation (slidng across the wood floor-in underwear) and laughs when we say go get ready or another half an hour. That was all it took for hubby, so now Big Fry is up to 6:30. Hubby tells him on the way home... we tell him again at 6:20. There is an emotional response...

SURLY-Again

When can I be surly??

3 comments:

bobbione8y said...

i get surly alot. it's kind of like 'swirly' in that it comes from the inside of your gut. i kind of hate it.

however, i wish someone would let me go to bed at 6:30 whenever it happens ;))) he he.

carey said...

i love surly. and wonky. but my favorite is something we call "farkis" as in scotty farkis. he's the bully in the movie Christmas story, and the term "farkis" was coined by big J.

you use it when someone is being a jerk. as in "don't be such a farkis."

Chris said...

I would be surly after all that. Did the 6:30 bedtime work?