Monday, January 3, 2011

Is it really time?








Is it really time for new goals for the new year? I don't even know if I met the ones from last year! I have a gazillion things I would love to work on but here is the one thing that first came to mind. I have already done it once, so I figure to go with it as I am 1/1 with the success rate so far.

So here it is. My kids have it way easier than I did as a kid...less chores, less demands, less perfect expectations. With this comes a little more laziness, whining, and entitlement. This does not make my kids "bad" and they do just as much as other kids I know. I am also working to stay connected with a new age of child I am very unfamilar with. So here is how it came to me, this new "resolution", inspired by gifts. As you know hubby and I presented each other with all kinds of domestic, cooking gifts. So I am passing it on. We sat down the frys and told them each Sunday they were going to help us prepare meals. From start to finsish. This was met by "what", "really", eye rolling and so forth. We stood firm, stated our case and said "Can't wait".

Small fry and I made lasagna-to be eaten later this week. And Big fry helped with the one and only Pioneer women FRIED chicken (hence my secondary resolution of weight loss) with buttermilk biscuits-made completely by Big Fry with no help. I have to tell you I think this was the most fun night of vacation we had. Small fry helped every step of the way, and asked if we could do meatloaf next. Big fry was so motivated, he stated, "This is really going to impress a future girlfriend if I make this for her!" No tv, no multitasking, just all four of us. It was pure FUN. It is amazing how one little thing, not a lofty goal, or overwhelming resolution gave me so much satisfaction. I can't wait until next Sunday, this will be a resolution I hope to keep.

I had to include pics-none of me and my partner with the lasagna, maybe next time.








4 comments:

carey said...

you and i are once again on the same page. we decided to ban all electronics until they are earned through extra chores and good behavior. they are no longer a free for all. also, we started family game night and it has been a great thing. i think family nights are the best. yours sound delicious!!

bobbione8y said...

okay. yum. and yes, having kids who actually grow up DOING sounds like a good plan! that does look like fun! and as long as there is a treadmill involved, i'm sure it's healthy too :)

Karen said...

That is so cool! I used to cook with the boys. A lot, actually. I would have to threaten lives at this point...

Um, it took me a minute to realize that what I thought were biscuits frying in oil was really the chicken.

Chris said...

I think that is a great plan! I wish more families did things like this together. Might eliminate many family dysfunctions out there.