Wednesday, July 16, 2008

Metaphor?

For my new "blogger" friends I apologize in advance for this nostalgic post but it is 12:30 and I can't sleep. As I was laying in bed thinking of today (it was a long day) my mind wandered to the stories and people I meet and reconnected with through this blogging thing. Then it hit me what it sooo reminds me of...
Notewriting in high school (trust me those who are new to ME when I say I am not pining for high school-ask Carey, Chris or Karen) but the whole blogger-note writing connection is pretty weird.
I think back to the notes we wrote ALL the time-or at least I did. Especially during Spanish class. I don't think there was a day that went by that I didn't write a note or get a note in my locker. You know when you opened your locker and a little folded up in a cool way piece of paper dropped onto the floor and you couldn't wait to read it. (Kind of like seeing if I have any comments on my postings or if someone posted on their blog)
Some notes were short, happy, gossipy-just a hey I'm bored what are you up to.
Some notes were long, sappy and sad or borderline temper tantrums (well OK mostly mine were tantrums or as I see them now playing the maytr-sorry Carey-who listened to 3 years of venting)
Some were drawings and jokes and deepest fears and worries (looking back all small stuff of course)
I know Chris had mentioned she had found a bunch of notes and how awesome it was to read them so much time later. It reminded me of a "book" Carey had given me-she had SAVED a bunch of my notes-not all the cheery happy ones either as a gift, a reminder to stay strong and have faith that that there was so much more out there. Have I ever said thank you good friend?

So here is my metaphor-blogging the new technology of notes. I have reconnected with friends. through our writing we post of ourselves. I have met new friends with new "notes". The notes still come in funny folded ways-ever check out the backgrounds and fonts of your blogger friends? No two are the same. We share happy and humorous things, sad and scary things or just Hey how you doing things, drop it in a locker and connect with someone each day or every few days in a small way.
It is not the same as the phone or the touch of the person sitting next to you but hey when you are busy tuning out the algebra teacher or a couple of squabbling kids or have something you are busting to share or get another view on call it a note or a blog but it works.

Thanks for sharing my midnight ramblings if you made it this far:)

7 comments:

bobbione8y said...

that is a great analogy, lady.

i was a note writer, too. from the sound of it, we have some things in common. i put Carey thru hell for quite a few years with my crazy personality disorder too. not that you had a crazy personality disorder, but i did :)))

he he. glad to be older and maybe just a BIT wiser now. and yes, still writing notes!

carey said...

aw, ladies, lucky for you i have this short-term pathetic memory and i don't even KNOW what you are talking about ;)

i'm actually serious. my memory has a blocker on it...nothing bad stays in my head.

i'm pretty sure that's not normal.

cherk said...

Bobbi-Oh great to know we are kindred note writers-personality disorders are BAD??

Carey-that is pretty pathetic if you are serious but on the good side you will always see Bobbi and I as shiny happy people

Karen said...

I found six shoe boxes of notes when I was home in November. We'll have to sit and go through them the next time I'm there.

cherk said...

Karen-Cool-I can bring Carey's "book" She would love that:)

Karen said...

Cher--not sure I'm coming home. Flights are so so so expensive and I've already promised my dad that I'll send E. I'll keep you posted.

Chris said...

Very cool post, Cher! Most of the notes that I read from you were all prety funny, some poems. I remember that all of us swore like truckers!:) It was so fun ready all of those notes again after so MANY years. Carey, my memory seems to have blocked out people who called me their bestest of friends, and I have no clue who they are now. That is pathetic memory loss. Don't worry bestest of all friends, I could never forget you all!!