Monday, July 7, 2008

Finally a lake day






Suree and I are trying to meet once a week for "fun mom" day. We both realize how much we need to drop everything sometimes and just be a fun mom with no time restraints or schedules. So today was the lake day.




These are the things I blew off today to have a fun mom day with Suree at the lake:

Laundry (sitting in the basket for a week)

Homework for two masters classes

Spring cleaning under the boys' beds (yeah I know it is summer-really blowing this one off)

Emptying dead roses from numerous jars I filled up for 4th of July party-I kind of like the withered look


The pics are Suree's kiddos-not a photogenic day for mine and I wasn't such a fun mom I was going to follow them into the muck and reeds to look for icky squishy stuff with hubby's prize camera.
On a side note about the pics from behind. When I look through my oodles of digital pics I have tons of my boys walking away from me. Today as I was posting this one of A-it made me sad and proud at the same time. I had a very deep thought as to why I love this pose so much. From the minute my boys were born that is my job, to raise them to stand on their own and walk away out into the world-to show everyone who they are. I see glimpes as they turn away of the person they are to become and what I hope for them to be and do and love.
I just hope-really hope they will look back at me from time to time.

6 comments:

Karen said...

Cher, you have me bawling! I wish we could get together (right now!), drink a beer and have some deep thoughts.

I think time is different in my household. When kids leave and come back taller and with experiences we didn't teach them, we really learn to savor every moment. I love to hear that you do the same.

cherk said...

We just did share a deep thought-just with out the face to face and the beverage, the only negative is we can't elaborate for hours like we would love to:)

carey said...

ok, wierd. i have a whole series of photos from this weekend of big j on the beach, looking out and away, with his back turned. i love them, but they make me kinda sad. i only posted the one with his brother about to nail him with the sling shot, but up until then, big j was in his own world, not needing anyone else. i kept wondering what he was thinking, sitting there for so long by himself. i love that kid. the part of him that needs to be alone and away from us already rips me apart.

cherk said...

Carey-ok, that is weird-we are all having these deep thoughts together-the worst part is they can be sad deep thoughts. The best part is we are not alone in them.

bobbione8y said...

from a graphic artist point of view, the "walking away" photos just look really really cool :)

let's hear it for melancholy!

cherk said...

Definitely Bobbie-On non melancholy days that is the best part the artist in my likes!