Monday, July 28, 2008

homework frenzy part II

So my last class session is this weekend and the paper is due Wed. My goal when I woke up this morning was to hit it hard and be done TODAY and not drag it out until Wed. I made it about 3 hours straight when I had to take a laundry and shower break. The boys have been great about it.
Sooooo I planned to hit it hard again before we have to leave for Q's class when the doorbell rings. I was going to tell the boys no friends-I don't concentrate well when loud boys are everywhere. The kid at the door was a boy a couple of years older then A who bought our old house and lived behind us. He hasn't played with A since we moved. His parents are getting divorced and from what we hear it is not pretty.
This kid has always been so polite and really good with A and Q but he is a little older for his years and is left on his own alot especially in the summer. School is hard for him and he asks Alec if he can really read the chapter books on the shelves. I ask him if he is home by himself this summer etc....He says "pretty much". I offer him lunch (he declines) but has some kool aid and tells me a story about him and his dad at the lake-he misses him and you can tell-it breaks my heart. He looks tired and lonely and I just want to feed him, take him with us on our fun summer adventures and say you can come down here anytime and hug him and have him feel what a good soul he has, because you can see he does and that the bad times will be bad but hang on for the good times they are out there.

So back to the beginning... when the doorbell rang and I opened the door ready to say "Sorry A can't play" I just couldn't do it...

Homework will wait

5 comments:

carey said...

i love you cher.

i feel this way about kids, too. we have a little girl in the neighborhood who only has a dad at her house, and i can't imagine what that must be like. so she comes to play and i have her help me plant flowers or make banana bread...i'm not much of a girly role model, but i figure i'll do what i can. sigh. i wish every kid in the world had good moms like you.

Chris said...

I say ditto, Cher. You have such a big heart I love it. I wish we would have had moms like you and Carey around when Brook & I were kids.

cherk said...

Carey-you are too nice. I just hope my one nice deed makes up for my "scary" mom voice with my own kids.
You are a great girly role model and it it only takes a minute to make a difference and a memory in a little kids heart.
Chris-You must have had a good role model somewhere at sometime to turn out as awesome as you and Brooke have!

Karen said...

I love your heart, Cher.

I'm so glad that you are there to make a difference in this kid's life. Homework, schmomework. People are where it's at.

bobbione8y said...

aw Cher, that makes my heart hurt, too.

i have a couple of little kids next door that i just want to pick up and take home sometimes. they have parents that yell a little too much, and pay attention to them not quite enough.

sometimes, they just sit out in my yard and tell me about their lives. i cannot do much more but listen and try to fill up a little of what is empty. i see you doing that too :)