Wednesday, January 9, 2008

Sad week

This week has been a sad week. On Monday I went to the hospice house to visit a former student of mine who was very sick. He passed away later that day, he was 12 yrs. old. I had him as a student from kindergarten to 2nd grade and then I had his brother the last year and a half. They both have a rare genetic condition and I have worked with the family the last 5 years. I dedicate the next portion to Kody and what he taught me to be thankful for. I know he is in a better place right now, out of his wheelchair running, jumping, laughing and dancing to the Dixie Chicks.

When I am woken up in the middle of the night for a glass of water, I will be thankful my children can get out of bed to ask me for one


When A or Q talk back and disagree with me, I will be thankful they have the voice and words to use

When we go to the creek for the 100th time looking endlessly for crawdads while the laundry, dishes and all other meaningless errands pile up, I will be thankful my boys can strip off their clothes and get very wet.

When I worry needlessly about A and Q and school and grades, friends and fitting in, am I a "good" parent, or will screwing up now and then as a parent still allow my kids to be kind human beings.

When my patience is at its end and I wonder what I have gotten myself into, I will practice stepping back and seeing my life and my children as we are. We are OK and all is good-that I am the luckiest, proudest, most grateful mom in the whole world.


A few pictures of gratitude and living...





























3 comments:

Karen said...

Oh, Cher Bear. I can imagine how difficult that was for you. I'm thinking of you today.

carey said...

your words will have me thinking all day. you're right, no matter how bad the day gets or how naughty the kids get, we are BLESSED. love the mountain biking photos. you're the goods.

Chris said...

Thank you Cher. We all really do have so much to be thankful for. Thanks for reminding me. I am sorry to her about Kody.