Wednesday, June 23, 2010

Have you?

Maybe it is the wine (I have been abstaining in the hopes of a little weight loss), maybe it is hubby's long hours, maybe it is my calling of working with kids and families, or maybe it is my excessive worry about my kids, but tonight is just plain sad-there is no other way to put it. I have an employee at work who just lost her 7 year old granddaughter-suddenly. She collapsed at VBS yesterday and had passed away by the evening. Her father is a teacher in our district and was out of town at the time. I read her obit-I sit here devastated, shocked and thinkng of her family more than I would like, who mourns for this freckle faced red-head little girl one year younger than small fry. I can't imagine, I really can't. Not to have Big Fry tell me all about kissing or become annoyed at his quirkiness, or hear small fry tell me too many animals on his game are mating or do the "sniffler" one more time at bed time. It makes me want to crawl in bed with them and just hold tight. Which brings me to the question, "Have you?" It doesn't have to be a kid or even a family member, or even a "real" person. Have you crawled in and held on tight to that person or persons who mean so much to you that you would give anything, do anything? I think tonight I will. I hope you do to.

2 comments:

bobbione8y said...

oh. that is terrible.

i wish i had somebody to hug and hold onto forever, but even if i can't do that, i understand what you are saying. people are the ONLY thing that matters. and i forget that waaaaaaaay too often.

i'm sorry, cher.

carey said...

i hate stories like this. and yes, it does make us stop and think and hold on tight.

i do that a lot. little j is still kind of snuggly, and it makes me really happy.