Wednesday, December 16, 2009

Who knew...

Who knew being a "leader" (not that I call it that) of 50 some people could be so exciting, fun, energizing and at the same time exhausting. Without going into gritty details my new job entails so much more than strictly talking to naughty kids. I am telling you my friends, that is the SMALLEST part of my whole day. Since Thanksgiving we have had numerous staff lose a family member from a father, sister (on Thanksgiving day), a brother in law, a grandma-who actually had not really passed away. I have listened to other personal stories I will not betray the confidences of here. I sometimes wonder if my real job is not that of a counselor-good thing that was my second choice as my master's and still may be someday-when I am old and bored. I have learned to listen to and show patience to levels I didn't know I possessed. I have had to dig down deep to not be sarcastic, to take the high road in for the sake of professionalism, and keep my mouth shut. I have gotten even better at letting things roll off my back-a pretty good strength I already had-and really NOT worry about it later, no really!
I have learned to hug a person, really hug a person and say "I love" you (again not an easy thing for me) to a person outside my comfort zone because it is what they needed at the moment in their grief.
Oh and here and there I talk to naughty kids about what really amounts to the small stuff... and I just want to say to them, enjoy this time young people because at some point and time there is REALLY big stuff, when you need to learn to listen and hug and know it is not all about you. That we all swim together in this big bowl of soup...

Oh and thinking of soup reminds me I did not make enough soup for the staff holiday lunch I planned-now that I did worry about!

3 comments:

Karen said...

I love how this job is both stretching you AND shining a light on talents you already have. :-)

bobbione8y said...

i love this post. i can really imagine you in your job, and how God is using you and growing you at the same time.

it makes me happy ;)

carey said...

i love this post too. i wish i could be a fly on the wall at your school and watch you in action. i think i would be smiling the whole time. you make me proud.