Wednesday, January 21, 2009

Sitting at the top of the roller coaster

So you know that feeling when you are on a really scary ride and the anticipation is almost unbearable? Well I was driving in the car and my mind was running through a thousand-no not exaggerating- a thousand things that are on my mind and the anxiety I felt was JUST like that-but without the really cool adrenaline you get once the ride starts.
I am on the tail end of the my coursework-two classes, orals, portfolio, internship and graduation and oh yeah my regular job and family. As I was driving I started to have this feeling that I just can't do it without having a nervous breakdown. My principal is pushing me to do the orals in March-not July like I had planned-just in case their is openings for principals next year. I am still on the fence-and I can't even put into words why, it doesn't help that hubby has been working until 9 every night and weekends and will be the next month. I worry about my family suffering the next 8 weeks, I don't know how much more spaghetti and lame dinners I can keep serving or homework I am not helping with and not feel guilty. Exercise will go out the window and time with hubby is sitting on my computer while we watch a show together.
So here I am heading to the top of the roller coaster, the anxiety building and just hoping the ride at the end will be worth it!

By the way I have actually been so occupied with this I forgot a big 5 YEAR milestone is coming up-more on that in two weeks.

5 comments:

carey said...

ugh, your list makes my gut hurt. here's the question: what's the worst that could happen if you wait to take those orals in july?

and next, i know things are hard right now and you feel guilty about the kids. just remember that you have SUMMER to spend with them, and they will treasure your summers forever. they'll forget all this and just be thankful of all the cool stuff you do in the summer.

wish i could help you, it sounds totally overwhelming.

bobbione8y said...

wow. you are going to be a PRINCIPAL.

that is amazing! i'm not sure about the timeline, but to me, you seem very young. don't rush through it if you don't want to.

:)

Karen said...

Cher, when you're a principal you'll officially be a grown-up. No going back. Are you sure you want to rush it?

We'll be here whatever you decide, just like Shane and the boys. We're proud of you!

cherk said...

You guys are the best. Part of my problem may be solved. Our school district is looking at deep cuts of staff SO a proposal is schools under a certain number of students NOT have principals-that would eliminate about 3 principal jobs so don't see any openings coming up so no hurry after all.Knowing me I will be prepared by March anyway:)

Chris said...

Oh yikes Cher! I know that feeling so well, I guess that is part of why I am not in school anymore. It's so hard to have it all and be able to hold it together at the same time. This too shall pass.