Wednesday, December 29, 2010

Favorite Christmas things

Wow, yesterday's post was a downer, feel free not to read. This one is much more fun. I did receive some very sweet gifts for Christmas and here are just a few of the faves. Kind of like Oprah's faves. (I am sure there isn't a car tucked in there, but oh well)

The socks are from the cutest little sped/preschool teacher in my building. She came in shyly and gave me the gift. I put it in the pile and said thanks. She asked if I would open it right away she wanted to know of I liked it. I did. They were cute as socks go. I came home though and put them on. I LOVE them! They are warm, fuzzy, and so girlish. I never find girlish socks in my laundry-ever. I love walking around with them in shorts, I might even tuck my jeans into them I like them THAT much. I feel 13 again-like with leg warmers, but much cooler-oh and I am not 13!


Now the gifts below are little confusing. The cookbook (may look familar to some of you) was really a gift from me to my hubby. I ordered it the very same day I got a text from Karen saying she was breaking up with PW-it wasn't good for the waist line. When I ask hubby weekly what do you want for dinner he replies "something good". I know he is meaning "NOT Cooking Light please". I thought this would be the ideal place for HIM to start making himself "something good" translation "man food please". I made migas and now my dad wants a copy!

The next gift is the griddle-heavy enough to break a leg if you drop it on your own. Hubby got this for me (see a pattern here?). He says WE are moving to all cast iron (thank goodness for the PW cookbook). I love it, I have dreamed of making pancakes, more than 2 at a time in my little pan. I did. My family will be happy though when I get the temp thing figured out. A too hot griddle gives you black undone pancakes. And a too cold griddle will give you milk white pancakes-not golden brown. I will keep practicing.

The last gift was the highly coveted Rabbit. A few years ago I bought one for my bestest friend Suree. When I go to her house I always open the wine and give small sigh, because I love the rabbit. So now I have one for my very one-and it is even better-it is RED!!

I was a little worried about the pattern of gifts though-they were so domestic...so wifely....gasp so 40ish and after 16 years of marriage. But you know what, we had the best time laughing about the rabbit being red, looking through the cookbook-my parents included. Joking about the heavier-than-heck cast iron griddle and all the things we could make on it or other puprosed it could have that they have now become my "favorite things"



5 comments:

Karen said...

It IS a great cookbook. I have never made the migas. Will have to try it. The spicy pulled pork is a hit here, and I know Carey makes it at hers. I make her pizza dough every single week and have tried every pizza in the book and on the website. Mmmmmm

cherk said...

I don't know if I can get hubby to try a new pulled pork, he is pretty proud of the one he makes. I will definitely do the dough!

bobbione8y said...

LOve the socks. love them. isn't getting socks for xmas the BEST?!

carey said...

oh, i love your christmas gifts! all of them.

and now i know what to get bobbi next year. double bonus :)

cherk said...

Bobbi would love them. I was sad tonight because they are in the dirty clothes!