Wednesday, December 8, 2010

Annual Tree story

You can not go a year without me having a tree story. I LOVE my trees, I LOVE picking my trees, I LOVE decorating my trees. This year I have YET to have a tree upstairs-see post below. I have a tree waiting in the garage for me to bling it up. I have a tree in the basement that I LET the boys do all by themselves-I swear I didn't touch a single ornament (because the tree gave me hives!). The story of how these trees got here is the really fun part.
For once both boys go with me to get a tree (you may recall NO one goes with me because it takes forever). We decide a tree for up, a tree for down and they can pick theirs. Before we get to the tree place small fry is already asking me how long will this take. We walk up to the gate and he continues to say how cold he is. We walk through some trees he says "Oh mom can't you just pick one fast, I am really cold". I give him the friendly public warning (I have to give these because it is mortifying as a principal to have a student or parent see you chewing out your kid in public). I tell him I wait for you ALL the time while you pick out legos. He replies, "Not very patiently". Any way we keep looking and he keeps whining. I give him the non public warning and may have used words like "ruining Christmas for me". I tell them we are leaving, no tree and get in the car. They follow me like little trolls begging to keep looking. We get in the car and go home. I ask hubby if he will go with me I get a big fat no. About an hour later small fry comes out with his PJ's on and glum, he asks if we are going to have a tree this year (I think I threatened there would be no xmas this year or next). I say of course, I am going to get tree now. He hesitates, "Can I come?". I say sure, he says, "Ok but give me a minute I have an idea" He comes out with an armful of clothes. "Don't worry mom, I have a plan this time, I will put on layers. See, then I won't get cold, you can take as long as you want". We did and next time we get legos with our allowance I will wait with smile on my face and positive body language, and I will let him take as long as he wants.

3 comments:

carey said...

a most excellent ending to the story. i love it and can't wait to see photos of the trees.

i hope the Christmas spirit finds you soon...i think it will. this weekend is supposed to be cold, perfect for staying inside, decorating trees, baking cookies and wrapping presents. THAT ought to do the trick :)

Karen said...

Awesome story! The best one yet!!

(I love the public and non-public warnings)

bobbione8y said...

c'mon Christmas Nazi!!! the world needs more of you ;)