Monday, September 7, 2009

Greenhorn gardners







Wow, we came back from Aberdeen and new we would have to harvest but had no idea! We are "harvesting" early there are some sluggy things and guessing grasshoppers who are waging war on our tomatoes. Nothing like going to pick a tomatoe and it is already half eaten ewwwww.

Things I learned form gardening:

Tomatoes are squishy when you step on them with your barefeet

All kinds of insects flock to your yard and thrill your children

Less will be better when planting tomatoes

Eggplants are beautiful
Fried green tomatoes are just as good as the movie
Jalapeno plants have OODLES of jalapenos on them

I am not meant to be a farmer-that harvesting is back breaking work

I am not meant to be a canner THUS
I have loved passing out baskets full of tomatoes to neighbors and having neighbor kids come and pick them for themselves

Did I mention tomatoes are squishy when you step on them?
Photographing vegetables is much easier than kids riding on really fast bikes, wish I had more time to photograph them-hmmmmm maybe now would be a good time:) See ya!

3 comments:

Karen said...

Seriously. I wish I was your neighbor. Seriously.

cherk said...

Someday...

Chris said...

Yeah, someday! I can't believe how much you grew! Your garden must a lot bigger than I pictured it.