Sunday, June 29, 2008

The crash

Sooo the saga of the sod and the washer were both resolved today so the four of us just had a fun, no chores day (chores meaning our grown up ones). So we spend the day mountain biking, it was quite interesting to say the least.
The first interesting story is hubby is tired of writing BIG checks to Lowes, Menards and sod farms so what does he decide to do? Hmmm write a big check to Scheels for bikes for the boys and all I got was a lousy helmet. I have been sitting on the fence about getting my own bike so today we looked and of course I found one that was cool (meaning color and design of course-not actual function:). But hubby wants to look online for a used one. Hmmmm hate waiting.

The second story was Q-man's spectacular crash-not that he would think so. He is on the short side so the bike is a wee big and the brakes a little hard to squeeze. He also has a thing about not using his hand brake at home and just putting his feet down or riding in the grass to slow down. Ummmmm these are not good things out on a narrow trail, going down a hill. So I am behind him bumping and thrashing along through tall grass, being the greenhorn I am, when we hit the hill that goes DOWN. I say loudly, "Use your brake buddy"-you know in that not alarmed mom voice on the outside but thinking-ahhh this could get ugly-on the inside. He says "I can't" as he starts to gain SPEED. So I skip the nice mom voice and yell-"Q-BRAKE", next I just yell "BRAKE" about 3 times. He attempts to put feet down, no luck, so he heads off the trail to slow down. This a great strategy on a city groomed lawn but not so much on heavy underbrush, logs and ravines. As he goes off the path I see the bike weave wildly and his helmet bobbing up and down and it comes- the veering off the trail at high speed and landing (really crashing) into the ravine. I wait-if there is no crying I think I will just casually go down, but no there is wailing so I jump off and run down. I am concerned but seeing he is not hurt try not to laugh at the humor of it, him lying in the grass all tangled up in branches and bike (You know what this is like, you see a spectacualr fall and you try to say something without laughing). He is more p.o'd then hurt and after some consoling and a good lecture on THAT is why you use the brake he hits the trail-this time on his wheels.

5 comments:

Karen said...

My heart was racing! I'm glad he's ok, Cher! I would have been freaking out.

How would that have been different if it was A instead of Q??

cherk said...

Not really, there probably would have been longer wailing and a fit. Not the tantrum type but the 9-year old being embarrassed type-he is pretty dramatic.

bobbione8y said...

i would have a heart attack if i actually had a child. seriously.

um. why else would you buy a bike except for color and design?

:)

cherk said...

bobbi-
That is what I tried to explain to hubby. My helmet has some color at least. Naw you wouldn't-have a heart attack I mean-about the 3rd time they bonk their head on the coffee table in the first year and the ER dr lectures you about having a boy and don't come in every time they bonk their head you get over it. (True story happened to me)

Chris said...

Oh Cher, I love you!