Wednesday, May 2, 2012

listening and doing

A conversation in the principal's office (last week):
Me-So why are you here?
Student- I wasn't listening
Me-Really? What were you supposed to do?
Student-Not go out to recess, I lost the privilige
Me-So you HEARD the direction right, and understood it
Student-Well ya but I didn't want to
Me-You didn't want to? Well, I am guessing then you are excellent at listening and just not at the doing, correct?
Student-I guess
Me-I think so, I think you are really good at listening, it is just the doing part we need to work on. That is the key, the doing. So now say it back to me so I know you understand what your next steps.
Student-Well, I AM good at listening, I just need to get better at the doing.
Me-Perfect, not go out and do....

Fast forward to today:
Student-Guess what Mrs. Daniel,  I have had a great week, no problems. I have been really listening.
Me-Great and you have been doing!

Sigh, sometimes something actually works.


3 comments:

carey said...

i love your method and i can SO hear you in my head. encouraging WHILE disciplining...love it.

bobbione8y said...

i love it, too. i think i would have liked to have a principal like you (even though i never, ever ever talked to even ONE of mine :))

Karen said...

Mr. Storm could have used your tactics back in the day. Although I don't know how the listening and doing would have helped the girl who wore a trash bag to school on a dare..