Sunday, January 1, 2012

Peace and Joy







As much I am a tree/Christmas Nazi, I am equally a scrooge when it comes to New Year's resoloutions. Not sure what it is. The fear of failure? The goals we set for ourselves at the start of the year that are meant to motivate but are usually very lofty in nature, and end up discouraging. And what is it with this beginning of the year thing? Do we really need a "date" to change-can't we do that on a daily or even minute by minute basis? Is it a stubborn streak in me that says "Darn it" I am good enough (most of the time) just the way I am? Is it the perfectionist in me who shudders at he HUGE list of resolutions I could make if I wanted to be perfect at everything-which I have worked hard over the years NOT to do? I think the last one is the answer, if I actually sat down an analyzed it, as maybe we all could, the list would be indefinite and each resolution could have a counter one (ying/yang thing going on):



Eat better but worry about weight less

Exercise more, but be happy with the 41 year old body I have, its not that bad

Give my fry's better feedback, and yet lecture them less

Limit technology time, but try to communicate more with people I love

Swear less-ok there is no yang for that one

Praise my children more, but be more consistent-higher expectations

Clean my house better, but don't let it consume our free time

And the list goes on...

So here it is the list that won't be happening...for whatever reason. Not that I can't choose do some of those things when and where I want, I will.

What I do know is I wish you all a new year of peace and joy. They are a little ying and yangish. Peace from whatever it is that weighs on you, bothers you, makes you sad, annoys you, frustrates you and on and on. And then there is joy. Joy in what excites you, motivates you and makes you laugh. While you are clearing your mind clear it for the joyful things that your brain should be full of. Maybe having one peace or joy will give you the other. I think it will.




2 comments:

Karen said...

Thank you, Cher! I'm right there with you in regard to the resolutions. There are so many balls I'm already dropping, why create more?

I think...I think I just want to resolve to open each day like a gift. That's all.

Love you.

cherk said...

Your welcome, I had to laugh, I think I read YOUR post after a did mine. We must have come to the same revelation:)