Sunday, January 1, 2012

Toddlers and Tweeners

When I had TODDLER children and my older and wiser friend Sara had TWEENER/TEENS she would tell me how similiar they were in brain functioning. I laughed at the comparison. Really? Who could reason with a 2 year old-no one. But I was sure a 12 year old could be reasoned with. A parent expected a 2 year old to do weird zany things. All the books said so.

NOW I am wiser and older and I see the connection.
Artifact A: New Years's Eve-12 year old is with us at a friends house. He and best friend come down laughing hysterically, almost peeing their pants to show us duct tape. Duct tape with hair stuck to it. Self waxing with duct tape-the few armpit hairs they actually had. Kind of reminds one of two year olds with hair and scissors.

Artifact B: Post New Year's Eve, first born has been at sleepover with duct tape friend. As he comes home at 11 he informs us they were up until 2:18. We cautiously mention "nap". We get a big fat no and "I'm not tired, I won't be grumpy". Well grumpies, surliness, over tired sets in. I use my toddler experience and promptly bribe him to ride in the car-I mean go on errands-in the car. And just like it was 10 years ago, MAGIC! I have one sleeping child in the car and quiet.

Now if I could just lay him down with a sippy cup, because of course the car nap wasn't enough.

1 comment:

Karen said...

Ha! I'm going to try the car ride!!!