Wednesday, May 4, 2011

A small (or not so small) lecture

Technology is great, the uses of phones, texting, Facebook, blogging have kept me in touch with friends I might have sent the obligatory Christmas card to and that was it. I am also part of the lives of people who are new to me, so I get the benefits of these. Here is my thing though, if you are a parent you need to MONITOR these at all my times. We want our kids to be tech savvy, we know they are growing up different then us, and they have to. BUT these sources and communications are NOT notes in a locker, or gossip spread in the McDonald's parking lot. We know kids will keep secrets from their parents-as they should, we also know kids are mean. But this new communication brings this to a new, dangerous level.
I am all for kids making their "own decisions", making a "bed and lying in it". BUT there are predators out there who are just LOOKING for unprotected and unmonitored children. Scary stuff, very scary. I am glad I am a grown up-very glad. I am glad to be a "mean" mom, and as of yet my child has no desire to do anything outside of text me and take pics of his lizard. This new landscape is scary.

There my lecture is done:)

5 comments:

carey said...

did something happen???

cherk said...

Not personally, so we are good!

bobbione8y said...

oh. sigh. yeah, i can be naive sometimes, but we cannot afford to be in this new world we live in.

glad you guys are ok.

cherk said...

Thanks bobbi-we are totally fine. I am pretty naive also, so yesterday was an eye opener.

Karen said...

It's terrifying. Did you know that kids without data plans (internet on their cell phone) can text questions to chacha and get the answers texted back? Bubba and friends learned all about S&M that way after hearing Rhianna's new song. I had no idea what they were talking about--I had to google it...