Tuesday, February 22, 2011

The hubby...


yes I have one. I talk about him so rarely in the blog world that I feel kind of bad. (Don't worry the buffalo picture will make sense-keep reading) Hubby is gone this week, and I forget how comfortable it is having him around, very noticable when he is gone. I can't even begin to describe what this man puts up with. My devotion to my work for one. The man is a saint. He picks all the slack that needs to be picked up when I have late nights, parent meetings, work on weekends, or sit with the laptop on my lap all night.

He can sometimes be a true Mr. Mom. Who else made angel food cake and the Pioneer Woman's mashed potatoes (HIS cookbook, not mine) before he left for Jersey. Yep that's him, so the boys would have "something good" while he was gone. Who taxis the kids around to all their various events, ortho appts, piano, guitar? Today I HAD to and I can tell you I was scrambling and still had to pawn my kids off on neighbors because of 7:15 AM meetings.

Who didn't raise an eyebrow when the Kohls credit department came calling because the last two months went neglected-well ok the bills are his responsiblity, so his fault. He puts up with my mood swings, anxiety (now that isn't easy), and all my other awesome quirks.


This past weekend he did something that reminded of me of how awesome he is. The guy is a PLANNER and a DOER in a big way. And you would never know it. I keep joking about getting a horse when we retire-and lots of land to have a spread, maybe be like a fake cowgirl. It is a running joke that he will NEVER do this having grown up on a ranch-I can't even picture that! So we are talking about school and school boundaries etc... and he says "Could you be a principal in Rapid if we didn't live in Rapid? I say sure and ask why. He proceeds to tell me he has been thinking about the economy, interest rates, our retirement etc-see one more reason I love him-these things never cross MY mind. He tells me how he has been researching buffalo-yep Tatanka. And that we should start a small HERD and then sell them. He tells me, "they are sturdier than cattle", "natural to the land here", and "there are lots of farm subsidies and grants for women ranchers", "it may be a great investment". I naturally said "What? Do you even know what to do with a ranch animal?" He rolls his eyes and says "What do you think I did the first 20 years before I met you?". Hmmm not sure.

We talk some more, I ponder. I like it. I can picture it, I know our kids would LOVE it. It's big and crazy, but if there is a guy who could do it he can. And maybe, just maybe I will get that horse!

4 comments:

Karen said...

Get an extra bedroom for me! If you get a horse, TM and I are moving in!

I'm thankful you've got a good one, Cher. :-)

carey said...

who knew when you took that motorcycle ride so many years ago?

if you started a buffalo ranch, could he quit his job and just work the ranch and run the kids while you go into the big city to work? that would be so cool.

bobbione8y said...

i'm with karen. on all counts ;)

i also want to do your ranch logo design :)

cherk said...

Carey-I asked that same question, nope, we can't take that big of a financial risk. Who knows, this is still a "Big Dream" but those are good to have.

Bobbi-Oh a logo, I hadn't thought of that! I did ponder that a business name would be needed.