Sunday, November 28, 2010

A Tale of Two Cheeses

The frenzy of cooking for thanksgiving is over. I don't know if I can have one more glass of wine-mulled or otherwise, another bowl of popcorn that went with every family movie we watched, or cook anything for a few days. Like Karen mentioned on facebook, jammies and sweat pants are looking good right now and I have one more day before I need to get into a pair of dress pants. Sigh.

Even worse is hubby is in a cooking frenzy of trying new recipes. Don't get me wrong this a great thing, any help in the kitchen is wonderful. The difficult part comes with hubby's recipe choices vs. mine. While I pour over cooking light and Jillian recipes he pulls out the one Food Network magazine I have and chooses a bobby flay mac and cheese-I can safely say you will not find this mac and cheese in a calorie counting cookbook. This recipe also comes with four different cheeses that-for those of from Rapid might jknow-are hard to find here. He sends me to the grocery store list in hand-first I can't find fontina.

Second he needs Irish cheddar-well-ok I find some English Cheddar-he doesn't look impressed when I bring it home and tell him, well they are right across the channel from each other. Thank goodness I did find some Irish Cheese-not sure if it is cheddar but hey at least we are on the same island now.

He is disturbed that I didn't bring home American Cheddar, now I must draw the line. American cheddar is orange, we don't need it to say american, we all know cheddar is cheddar in america and it is orange. He is not convinced.

He moves on to his homemade vegetable stock that he is going to use for guess what?? RAMEN NOODLE SOUP. Yes you read correctly, perfectly good homemade veggie stock to be mixed with packaged ramen noodles. Need I say more...I am going to need bigger pants or more wine!

8 comments:

Unknown said...

my vote is for the wine :)

I LOVE mac and cheese and NO I haven't found the low fat version that I like yet...

cherk said...

Rani-wine it it then. My hubby is a huge mac and cheese fan-very particular about it.

Karen said...

That is SO FUNNY! Tell your hub that I have two different 4-cheese mac recipes, and I have never, ever used the cheeses called for. Sometimes I use three instead of four. I don't think it matters except that you want cheeses with different flavors (which is easy to do, just get some soft and some hard) and always top it with freshly grated Parmigiano-Reggiano.

Ok, just re-read that. I'm turning into a food nerd. Sorry. More wine!

carey said...

while we are on the subject of mac and cheese...

the bright orange cheese that comes in powder form...what exactly do you think that is?

it just occurred that cheese does not come powdered in its natural state.

bobbione8y said...

i remember the good ole days when the only cheese in my world was Velveeta... :)

cherk said...

Hubby LOVES velveeta!!
And he didn't even use the Irish cheese! Karen-you are my favorite food nerd!
Carey-I love the powder stuff-if you leave real cheese out long enough I bet it turns to powder.

Karen said...

Is 5:52 too early to start with the wine?

cherk said...

What! Heck no, it is Wine Wednesday after all