Monday, November 8, 2010

The new friend

I am leaving you with a few must write posts before I go:)
Big Fry has been talking about this new friend-this is good because Big Fry is a very selective friend maker and it isn't always easy. Middle school friends make me nervous. I don't know who they are, who their parents are, is this kid a "nice" kid and so on, all the nosy important stuff I need to know. As we wait at conferences Big Fry says there he is my friend____. I see the new friend with his mom and dad. Skinny, slight kid, mussy hair and glasses. And as he turns you can see some facial scarring and a slight disfigurement. You can just tell he is a "fringe" kid. I walk up and say " Wow am I glad to meet you, Big Fry talks about you all the time." I introduce myself to his mom and dad. There is it is, my son-probably a fringe kid to. Not part of the cool table, not part of the starting line up, doesn't have 200 friends on facebook-heck we don't even let him on. But he is a kid who looks beyond the person and sees a friend for who they really are. Will they be friends all year? Who knows, middle school is fickle. Are they grasping at each other because they are on the outer circle. Maybe. Would I have it any other way? Nope.

2 comments:

carey said...

i wish big fry and big j were friends. i think they would dig each other.

cherk said...

They definitely would:)