Tuesday, October 21, 2008

Whew, confernces over and done

So the fall conferences are over and done with and as usual no big surprises and the actual process did not deserve the anxiety I gave it. Big A got to lead his own conference and that was interesting. He was NERVOUS but did a great job, he is starting to see the connection between his effort and responsibility for learning but still not the most organized or best listener. His teacher is a blessing. Q's conference was OK, I refuse to throw fellow peers under the bus so won't. He of course was advanced in math so here I am on the end of instead of helping my struggling child- I have to think of how to challenge my advanced child-it is just as much of a quandry.
What is the funniest part is BOTH boys were needing improvement in the area of talking and being TOO social. This is such an oxymoron for me. My grade school years were full of painful shyness, few friends and a true wallflower. Not a social butterfly by any means (of course making up for it now-must be a late bloomer) it is funny how people who know me now in this phase of my life are surprised.

On another not the one characteristic my oldest son inhererited is my emotional sensitivity for good and bad. He feels things so deeply that sometimes it hurts me just to watch because I know EXACTLY how he feels and is analyzing the situation. We had a disagreement and Hubby gave him a guilt trip. He comes out to say "can we talk" so we do. He worries about when he gets angry and being mad and that he is a bad person. WOW it is like talking to a mirror. So I LISTEN and say the only thing I can think of. We are human-we get scared, sad, happy, nervous and mad-even at the people we love-it is how we fix the problem that counts. The people we love the most sometimes are on the recieving end of the worst and best of us. That God made us a family for a reason because he knows what he is doing (because sometimes I don't have a flippin clue). And coming to talk to the person you love is sometimes all you can do...

so thank you big guy for coming to talk to me and I hope you always do.

3 comments:

Karen said...

I have tears in my eyes, Cher. You are a great mom, and God clearly gave you the perfect family.

bobbione8y said...

yeah. the challenges of having a family are big, but the rewards are so much bigger.

you sound like a really really good mom.

carey said...

i think it is amazing to see the person you have become, and how all those experiences as a kid (still feels like yesterda) tie into the parent that you are. glad conferences are over. ours are tomorrow. i hope they go as well.