Sunday, October 19, 2008

The prarie









This post could be long so I will try to condense it. I went pheasant hunting for the first time with my family. Hubby and I did lots of walking while the boys followed and then got bored and scoured hay bales for caterpillars. It was a beautiful day on the prarie, warm, blue and no wind. It was also a great day to connect with hubby. We hunted at his grandma's place near Philip. She is 90 something and not doing very well. She lives in the same house she did 70 years ago and the place is kind of a wreck. It is hard for him to see his grandma and the place he grew up at this way. As we walked (and walked) he would just mention little snippets of how he shot a badger here, his grandma hunting with him here and so on. I could tell the day was like a walk down memory lane which he doesn't often do. As he cleaned birds and talked to his grandma I rambled around the place and took tons of pics, not great ones but just something to remember the place. It was tranquil and quiet and almost like it would have seemed in the homestead days. I can't wait to go back out again. The pheasant hunting stories and the ones I missed will be for another day.


3 comments:

Karen said...

I just love this post. I'm so glad you got to walk down memory lane with your hub. What a blessing.

bobbione8y said...

this story has stayed with me all day. i kind of cry when i think of it, even though it makes me happy.

i think of MY great grandma, who lived on the prairie alone for many years. she was a powerhouse, 88 pound woman :)

i miss her.

ps. loved your photos - the truck! omg. the truck is gorgeous.

cherk said...

Bobbi-I took the truck picture just for you! The color palette of it was so awesome