Wednesday, April 16, 2008

Highlights of the S.E.X talk

Another milestone in big A's life yesterday. Lately he has been asking more questions about marriage, girlfriends, and making babies. The first time he asked Q was in the car, so I said ask me another time in private......so last night in the car I reminded him of the conversation and if there was anything he wanted to ask. Here are a few highlights....

Me: So do you have any questions about the stuff you mentioned before?
A: Yeah, how do moms and dads make babies?
Me: Hmmmmm what have you heard?
A: answers (I won't repeat it all) and said he had heard it on the playground (they were HALF right)

Skip a few minutes later...
A: So did Jordan (his friend who just had a sister) watch his sister being born?
Me: No
A: But I bet he watched them make the baby
Me: Ummmm no, you don't watch someone
A:So where do you do this at?

After discussion of sex and marriage
A: What about women who get divorced?
Me: What about them?
A: They can aren't able to have a baby right-after they are divorced

After discussion of how do you get a girlfriend
Me: 3rd graders really don't have girlfriends and boyfriends
Alec: Aspen smiles at me alot when I see her
Me: Really
Alec: Yeah I think she likes me

After a little helpful advice (and constraint on not beating a dead horse in the issue of morality)
this is how the conversation ends:
A:So having kids is expensive-you have to pay for me right?
Me: Yes, groceries, clothes college etc but we don't mind
A: That's really not fair that you have to PAY for me, why would you have me then?
Me: Well because we wanted to show our love and create a family
A: Hmmm


Yes, hmmmmm that pretty much sums it up for me to.

4 comments:

carey said...

sounds like you handled it pretty well. i still remember when my mom left a book on the counter for weeks and i avoided it like the plague. i did not want to have that talk with my mom. at least A had the guts to say what was on his mind.

Karen said...

You did great, Cher. I'm glad he's the kind of kid who will talk, that makes it easier. I have one who will not say BOO about anything, and it's hard to have those meaningful moments. My friend Wendy (mother of FOUR TEENAGERS) says that those talks should always happen in the car, that not having to/being able to make eye contact makes it easier on the kid and the mom.

I notice there was no mention of Senior Kegs...

cherk said...

Carey-Yeah I got the book talk also, but we actually read it together. A is never afraid to say what is on his mind:)
Karen-he is a talker and now the flood gates for questions has been open. He actually asked me how long it took. "It" I said, yeah you know mom the sex part. I said an answer for another time. Hmmmm senior kegs.... will have to save those stories until he is way older. It is always a fine line, how honest is too much.

Chris said...

I wanted to hear some of the answers to his questions you left out!;) You did great!