Sunday, August 19, 2012

Ettie's Place

Sundance is small. Very small. So you ask your local motel clerk, the one who looks at a handwritten ledger for your name AND hands you a KEY (an actual key) where to eat. He promptly tells you Ettie's Place. Ettie's place is not very busy, but very upscale and only one waitress. The waitress could  be my mom's age and you know she has waited tables her whole life probably. We have to wait a long time, a very long time so they treat us with free wine and we tell them we are in no hurry. After all the night life in Sundance is not glamorous. When the waitress actually has two minutes to breathe we tell her we are in town for the MS ride. Her eyes tear up and she says "Thank you, thank you so much, my niece Hannah who just graduated college and got married and is 23, we just found out she has MS." She continues to say, "I should have just learned more, but thank you for riding for complete strangers and good luck to you".  And then there were no words, we all couldn't speak.

 And I thought about her as I pinned on my number and a sign that says "I ride for..." and it took me a split second, Hannah. I ride for Hannah.

2 comments:

Karen said...

Awesome, Cher. :-)

bobbione8y said...

karen beat me to it.

that just makes the whole thing make so much sense :)