Friday, February 3, 2012

Sometimes the apple is very far away

Monday afternoon meeting coming up with Big Fry's teachers, all four main ones at the same time. At our request due to multiple failed assignments since the start of the 3rd nine weeks.
Here are few of the comments we have heard thus far:
"Very little effort"
"Seems to get the content, just unorganized"
"Talking to others around him, they are complaining" AND "gets distracted easily"
"Late assignments affecting grade"
"Missing assignments affecting grade"

I am perplexed, see this is NOT how I was in school. NOT in any grade or any level, well ok maybe when Carey and I were roomates that one year in college. I think I will blame it on her, (he he). So I stumble around confused. We question, we brow beat, we lecture. We bribe, we love and logic, we reinforce and punish. The hole gets deeper. I imagine him dropping out, I imagine him giving up. I imagine with him no job, no effort to hold a job, and living with us forever (I don't even mind that part too much). Whatever genetic pool this trait came from it is not me. I have an idea where, but that is too scary to think of.

So I am wondering about this apple and why it has fell so far from the tree, and how I want to hang it up again, ripen a little more or something...

6 comments:

Karen said...

I wish I had some big, bright words of wisdom. I wish I had an apple-hanger. I wish I had you and a fireplace and a couch and a bottle of wine. We could solve ALL the problems that way.

cherk said...

We could probably solve many...or at least hash out possible solutions. We could also laugh at them as well!

carey said...

some of the most brilliant minds in the world are unorganized, dreamy and can't adhere to a schedule. in fact, i think most of them are.

i doubt that helps you, but it's nice to know, right?

Karen said...

I think Carey just said I'm brilliant!

bobbione8y said...

seasons, cher. they are just seasons in a kid's life. i remember when one of the jboys was headed down a 'wrong' path not too long ago, and now he is in a completely different stage of maturity, and all is well.

give him love and time. and maybe except he might be scattered a bit like all of us ;)

cherk said...

An apple hanger. There it is.
Carey-I think great minds don't capitalize either. I think he is on his way to being a great person.

Bobbi-What would life be if we all didn't veer off the path a little-have to keep reminding myself that.