Saturday, July 28, 2012

Mile 27

Today was to be the culmination of a 3 day road cycling excursion across half of Iowa. But as you can read I am blogging from my air conditioned house for you beautiful people. Injuries and a brief hospital stay for my good friend put our plans to a halt. Good news (or bad-read below) I found a replacement ride a little closer to home and for a good cause. So our new plan is to ride in the beautiful Black Hills of Devil's Tower, Spearfish, and Belle Fourche for Ride MS. Two packed days of 70 mile trips. Yes 70, and I thought a 50+ miler in Iowa was intimidating.
Here lies the problem, there are few goals I set for myself that I don't meet...there are some, but the big ones I can do. So in the spirit of continuing to train I set out for a long ride. Long for me meaning over 25-a goal I have yet to meet. It seems like fishing, camping, and basic summer fun has just fit on the plate better the last two months.

I get on the bike, temperature is good, no wind (ya, not until turning AROUND) and the first 10 feels fabulous-20 mph average, I am thinking oh yes, going for 30 today, and it may just be easy. At mile 15 the half way point I feel good, stop for a cliff bar and a drink and realize I neglected to put my water on the bike. No biggy, not really thirsty. So I turn around and realize NOW that the lovely wind I had at my bike is in my face. Mouth is a litte dry, but I am still optimistic...
My optimism quickly fades as I get thirstier and the wind annoys me more. At mile 20 I text my hubby that I would die for some gatorade. No response, a little reassurance was all I was looking for, as I was still determined to make it. I turn off the FLAT part of the trek and hit the hills that I have to survive to get back to the car. Now my mouth is really dry, my stomach hurts, legs are shaky and a little light headed.
I am determined but thinking "This could be bad". At mile 27 with a big hill facing me and more lightheaded feeling. I do the unthinkable I text hubby, "Come get me".
He responds "What?" I text it again,
"Umm not feeling well, come get me"
He calls and meets me where I sit in the scratchy grass with the grasshoppers, and proceeds to lecture me about the lack of water. "I told you every 15 minutes, DRINK"
Sigh
All I can think of is two weeks until dry hot Wyoming and my legs need to do what my mouth says it can do. Mile 27 just isn't going to be enough and I try to remind myself, if it was easy everyone would do it.

The

3 comments:

bobbione8y said...

oh Cher - I admire you for your lofty goals - but gotta say I am glad that you also know when to say 'when' - with water you will be fine!

well. except for the 25 miles X 3 part :)

keep us posted.

ps. as I type, i am flat on my back with the 3rd day of a hideous stomach flu. could not even bike down my driveway at this moment...:(

carey said...

you can do it, i know you can. can't wait to read all about it. proud of you!

Karen said...

Oh my. How did I miss this?