Wednesday, April 18, 2012

A Decade



It seems long when you say it like that. Small fry, here with us for a decade. It is strange being the second child. The unfinished baby book, the blog post I almost didn't do because my week has been...well you know. The child I called on my WAY home and said "What do you want to do for your birthday?" What does the younger, people pleasing sibling say? "Well I really like that meatloaf, but it takes a long time huh?" Consolation birthday, a movie on a school night, at a theater.
So here it is for my small fry. Maybe small, but a deep thinker, too deep sometimes...I worry.
My small fry who loves the ocean, wants to be a lego designer AND a marine biologist.
I remember the afternoon he was born like it was yesterday. My best friend Suree by my side again, only telling me make this one shorter and no blue-gray, not breathing baby like the first time.
I complied. Small Fry came flying out, literally. We hadn't found out what he was, I remember hubby's excited voice "Oh, it's a boy!" I didn't have the heart to tell him I already knew, my keen eye had seen a third "femur" on the ultrasound. I had packed a girl outfit anyway.
I remember him in my arms, face all scrunched, so UNLIKE his brother. He looked like a wise soul even then. I called him my little old gnome. With the second child you can't wait to LOOK knowing, what a miracle it is. I immediately thought, "oh my god he looks just like his dad". Still does.
I remember not seeing him forever after, he had to see a cardiologist "a small valve not closed" Really, people who says that to an anxiety type mom! I remember taking off the silly hat they put on and there was the hair that made me almost drop him. GIRL hair, long and sticking straight up. I started liking my fingers that very night to push it down. I still do.
I could go on and on. He is my baby...will always be...I love you small fry!

4 comments:

carey said...

Man, he is his dad's mini me for sure. I love this post, I get this post. You are the bomb.

bobbione8y said...

I love how you can look at little teeny toddler pics and still see the same person even when they grow up.

cute boy :) good post.

Karen said...

A whole decade! What an amazing blessing, Cher. What an amazing boy.

Brogan Wikarek said...

I happened upon your blog by accident, and what a happy accident it was. Your style and voice...I love it all. May you have many more decades. :)