Wednesday, April 11, 2012

Desert tidbits

I don't know if one can lump in a whole 2.5 days worth of adventure and a 14 hour drive in a pithy blog entry. I can say the following...

I loved visiting the desert. Emphasis on visiting. I don't think you will ever take the hill, green, and seasons out of me. We are thinking an annual Easter trip may become part of our family tradition.

Taking your children on trips and having them see other parts of the world is a GOOD thing. As we passed the city skyline of Denver in the dark, Small Fry was in love. "Wow, I don't think I want to live in Rapid, I think here would be cool."

Brotherly love, self sacrificing. Big Fry wanting to bike ride the "big stuff" more, but not wanting to ask because he wanted to help his little brother catch that lizard Small Fry had promised to bring back as a class pet.

Speaking of lizards. If I was keeping score it would be Lizards 20 something and boys 4. That is how many came back in the car with us to contribute to the class pet project. The teacher should have NEVER doubted, never.

Biking with the boys, all 3 is humbling. I am last. I have to send Small Fry in front of me to yell "tricky part" so I know to bail, or speed up. I keep chanting what hubby said, "speed is my friend, speed is my friend" At the same time thinking of how far ahead Big Fry is and the concept of stop at intersecting trails has no meaning to him, it takes hubby awhile to find where he went to.

Peeing in the desert...did you know it is NOT like peeing in the forest. If you are not off the bike trail far enough people WILL see you. And not only will they see you frantically trying to pull up your really tight bike shorts. They will ride on, passing your husband and say, "Is that your girlfriend back there? You might want to tell her she wasn't off the trail far enough" Where then hubby will chew you out saying you are supposed to yield to bikes going uphill, move over further.

3 comments:

bobbione8y said...

oh, how fun that sounds. well, except for the peeing part :)) ha ha.

loved seeing the landscape.

carey said...

your biking desert adventure sounds very much like our skiing adventures. i would not trade them for the world. there is nothing better than a good road trip to bring the family together. onward, griswalds!

Karen said...

I'm STILL laughing about your peeing adventure!