Monday, September 5, 2011

sigh, just not our weekend

In the yellow, coming out strong, Small Fry was leading the pack
Big Fry with th corn-fed-east-river-super-fast-riders




PEDAL!!




We made the annual trek to Aberdeen. This year was different than others, we had raced and practiced more. Big Fry turned intermediate, he had wins, confidence, and a desire to do good, more than he has ever had in previous years. Small Fry was fired up, ready to at least place with the huge group of 18 other 9 year olds he has to compete with.

Friday and Saturday were not bad, they both made the main races, pulling through when it really mattered. Sunday came-big trophy day and the time to earn points for a number plate for the whole state. Turned out to be not their day. Small Fry made his main and let his mind get the beter of him when he had an outside gate. Last. Big Fry didn't even make his main.

I persuaded everyone to stay for the award ceremony, which we have never done before. I was hoping beyond hope that the calculatios would turn out that one or both would get a number plate award. I knew they were VERY close. Small Fry sat on the metal fence hanging on the announcer's words as they got to the 9-year old group. His name wasn't called, I could see him blinking quickly and swallowing, trying not to cry. We got to the 12 year old group and I knew as soon as the other kid Big Fry races name was called that he had been bumped out, they had been tied. If Big Fry had made the main race he would have had it.

We headed out to the parking lot, with Big Fry condeming me with "I told you we should have just left, I knew I wasn't going to make it." We get in the car, and the sounds of a 12 year old holding back tears fills the car.


I.felt.awful. I cry and Big Fry tells me it is not my fault, he says, "I just wasn't fast enough today mom". When I apologize to Small Fry for making them stay he says, "It's ok, I am going to get them next year."


I know the disappointment will wear off for them, we have work to do!

3 comments:

carey said...

no, don't do this to yourself. seriously. trust me. there is a reason you stayed and it's not the reason you think. your kids NEED to see your vulnerable side like that, cher. they will remember that mom hurts sometimes long after they forget about losing a race. i feel like you did the right thing, and your boys will learn from it.

that sport looks hard!! tell your boys they are cool for doing it.

cherk said...

Luckily we have another month of racing here so I know we can end on an "up" note!

Karen said...

They have come so far, Cher. And actually, I think waiting out the awards is character-building.