Thursday, June 30, 2011

What a 9 year old packs for running away

I almost forgot about this story until I scrolled down to my other posts. I remembered I HAD written a post on the day blogger was doing weird things. The best thing about recollecting on this WAY later is I am hoping the the trauma of the day is as quickly forgotten by the children as it was by me, and the won't have me on the Dr. Phil show later in life.

Story in a nutshell-Small Fry locked Big Fry out of the house while I was gone, no biggie, I come home they are both NOW getting along and playing in garage. This is until surprise the garage door know if locked, does not automatically unlock itself. So when small fry came out to make up it locked behind him. Our front door sticks and MY key didn't work (another story about hubby coming home and HIS worked-he was pleased).

No tempers were lost, we actually handled the whole situation well. Small Fry did not, he went immediately to his room and cried and sulked. I went to him later found him under his loft bed favorite blue blanket over his head and his sleepover bag in the middle of the floor. We have a conversation through the blanket and I nonchalantly ask, "What's in the bag?'. Luckily, or coincidently, we had just watched Beezus and Ramona (a must see) and channeled the cool funky aunt. He shoots out under the blanket and grabs the bag. "I was running away", ahhhh I say, and what does a nine year old pack to run away I ask him. He enthusiastically shows me:
1 spider man wallet with all his money
favorite blanket
stuffed cheetah
Calvin and Hobbes Book
Binoculars
And lastly his marine camoflauge shirt-he tells me so he can't be seen

I tell him he is a good packer and that silly locked doors are not run away from, there are way worse things kids can do. He agrees, and we agree to leave it packed just in case. As we all know this won't be the first or last time ONE Of us wants to run away:)

4 comments:

carey said...

That is a great bag. No toothbrush, no underwear, but he's got Calvin and Hobbes. And I am most impressed that a DS did not make the cut. You must be doing something right over there.

cherk said...

Ha I never thought of what he DIDN'T pack. We don't own a DS:) Kind of like a TV in the bedroom, it is a big taboo.

Karen said...

Oh my gosh, you handled that SO WELL. Well...maybe nine-year olds running away is easier to take than the teenage version of that..

cherk said...

Karen-Thanks, sometimes a mom handles something just right. I do need to apologize, I either typed this post late on a Wine Wednesday or in a hurry because the lack of commas, and run-ons, along with unintentional spelling areas is astounding. I hope you didn't grimace!