Wednesday, June 22, 2011

Lord of the flies-neighborhood style

I can't help but write about this as I hear the war and words waging outside my house as I sit on the computer. For better and for worse I live in a neighborhood full of boys. 8 in a three house area, and two tom girls. It would be great if ALL these testoterone filled children lived together amicably. They don't. As a school adminstrator I know they won't anything, over 3rd grade and a threesome never works. Well, it will work for awhile but then goes south fast. So we have a neighborhood of "factions". And they are now currently enthralled in a water gun battle. As I am typing I see 3 from the "other side" sneaking through the tall grass of my back hill. I am sure stalking the children from "my side". Soon water will fly, feelings will be hurt, words (I don't want to know) will be flung. I am always torn between going out and monitoring and being like ALL the other moms and hiding in my house-even though most of these battles occur in MY yard.


As Karen posted very prophetically today, I think I will bury my head. I will let my belief that my children will play fair, and take the high road. Then again if I was really listening to her, I am not going to sweat it. War is war after all-now where is my water gun...

No comments: