Monday, March 28, 2011

Brotherly love

After a family meeting, that apparently small fry wasn't listening to, he was banished to his room last night for backtalk, non-compliance and general rudeness. As I lamented to Karen-punishing small fry is hard-it rarely happens. So while he is in the bedroom sobbing, I go in and console him and tell him the consequence stands. As I sit down by big fry he says to me, "You didn't cave did you?" I turn to him shocked and say, "What do you mean?". He says, "You ALWAYS cave, he cries, you go in hug him and then tell him he can come out. I don't think you should cave this time". Now here is the other side of the coin... Big Fry is banished to his bedroom for the same infractions. As he is in his room-giving HIMSELF an earful, small fry tells his dad how sorry he feels for him and he should come out. Later when Big Fry asks if he can come out, small fry whispers to me "Just let him mom, just this once". Hmmmmm a little brotherly love to start the week.

2 comments:

Karen said...

Holy crap. You've got it coming at you from every angle!

One day, when big fry wins the Nobel prize, we'll look at each other and nod and remember that it was all worth it.

carey said...

they say that the best way to unite people is to give them a common cause to stand against. unfortunately at my house, that common cause is often ME. when both boys are in trouble, they end up whispering about how mean i am and are the best of friends while plotting how to take me down.

hey, whatever works.