Saturday, February 16, 2008

Sometimes first does feel good....




Ok any of you who know me well know that I can be a very competitive person. I am trying not to pass those expectations on to my children. I want my boys to focus on effort, persistance, fun and sportsmanship. My oldest has the sportsmanship thing down.

Example-We were discussing BMX racing starting soon and practicing etc. He says to me, "If someone falls I am going to stop my bike and get off and help them up." My verbal comment was to the affect of how nice but it is a race just keep on going-in my head I am thinking, "Absolutely not, that is your chance fly on by!" Who is teaching who??

This example leads to an ice skating event today. My oldest is as he says "not a sports guy but a science guy", so sports are sometimes difficult. He wants to do well and knows exactly how good everyone else is compared to him but goes out there and gives it his best. So today is the "finale" for the last session of ice skating lessons. A has improved considerably this session and hopes to try hockey lessons in the future. The kids are divided into teams and each does a few skills they have learned and their team earns points. My youngest Q-ball goes out there carefree and does his part. It is A's turn, we went and did a last minute practice last night just for today. I am in the bleacher, heart beating, mouth dry, thinking-Please don't let him fall in front of all these people-just this once-he needs this, I NEED this. He gets out there and not only does his skills he NAILS them.

Their team ends up getting first (oh yeah only 3 teams but who cares) and they get a cheesy medal-they are elated. They skate a victory lap,Q with both arms raised, he is competitive:)

As we head out the door to the car A turns to me, "Mom this is the best day ever, my brain is so happy I could cry" Me to big guy, Me to...




Picture from art time today-note still wearing medal:)








3 comments:

Chris said...

Yeahhhhhhh! Good for A! I wish my brain felt that big! You are such a great mom, Cher!

carey said...

You? Competitive? :)

I totally know what you're saying about wanting your kids to do well in everything. It's fun to win. But sometimes I see that the biggest lessons are found in the loss. It builds character, and it makes those wins that much sweeter.

Karen said...

Yeah!!!! Good job, A!!