Sunday, May 19, 2013

Soccer

Do you remember years back when I complained about baseball? When my Small Fry social child feels the need to try the organized sport thing, and he drags us along kicking and screaming with him?

Well soccer was no exception.  A year ago, we finished rec, you know the fun easy, no coaching league. He changed his mind and set his sights on Challenge-the try out for it team. He made it. We had a rough start last fall, lots of kids who live and breathe soccer, came out of the womb with the middle name Pele. More parents for me to meet, groups of people I hardly knew to be social with. Screaming parents from the sidelines.

We finished this weekend with a downpour of rain for two days straight playing in a mud bowl. The team of 20 boys was split into two. A gold and silver, newbies on the silver so they could get more experience. That would be small fry. Long story short, his team was undefeated until this morning when we played a team we beat yesterday. It was a suspense filled game...0-0, first half, then 1-0 them, then 1-1 us, in the last two minutes. Down to a tie breaker, them 2-1, and us trying so hard to no avail. With yours truly yelling the loudest

Small Fry had been so determined, as was I. Two weeks ago the kid was on his bed crying saying he was quitting. He had a heart to heart with the coach (at my request) and changed his mind. Now who was being dragged kicking and screaming. We went to Sheridan for a  road trip just the two of us, it did his soccer confidence good, and for me a much needed break from work did my heart good.




I am a little sad to see it end for summer (see I said a little, not a lot). I have learned all kinds of vocabulary, like "man on", "go wide", "offsides", and "keeper". And that some soccer moms are down right fun to talk to. Some...

Congrats Small Fry, you may have not one first today like you wanted but you are first in my heart.

2 comments:

carey said...

love this.i was watching you on facebook and jealous of your weather...we were doing baseball in 40 degree weather with freezing wind. glad your little man had some fun and stuck it out.

i watched little j play 5 games of hockey in minneapolis this weekend. and i MAY have yelled a time or two myself :)

bobbione8y said...

ha ha! wow. i am continually amazed at you - A SOCCER MOM TOO!!!

i'm sure Carey understands much better than i do, alas :)