Tuesday, January 1, 2013

Treasures

You will be proud to know I went thrifting, well not really, but I did help hubby go through his grandma's old farm house. You may wonder what you find in the house of someone who has lived 98 full years? Amazing things I tell you, amazing. Oh and some junk, umm maybe more junk-no disrespect there Wilma.

Knowing a few of you blog friends like I do, I just had to share. And I hope you see why, it is weird how each time I picked up something, it made me laugh, cry, smile. or speechless. And here a few...with really lousy pics but I couldn't wait to share.

Little weather diaries, you know those little free calendar books banks used to give away? Well we found LOTS of those. Do you know what was written in those? Weather..."fair day today", " a little warm but overcast", and so on....I guess when what you eat out on the farm and ALL your day to day work and entertainment occurs outside, this may be an important thing to remember.

Then a suitcase...turqouise! It turned out to be a little carry on/jewelery type case! Just who did I think of?? I had to bring it home...and I may just ship it Bobbi's way, who better to love it and give it a home. Hubby agreed

Jars...some really cool jars, again turquoise. Sorry peeps, keeping those after the cobwebs are dusted off. I did think of my mom, I may send one her way, I remember hiking in the woods or rummage sales and finding old bottles with her. I remember thinking "what junk, let's gooooo mommmm". Yes we all turn into our moms at some point. By the way I only took the ones that DIDN'T have canned goods from who knows when still in them.

Then lastly something for the word and story lovers, you know who the two of you are. The writing begins on faded brown, lined paper. Cursive, delicate, all written in blue and black pen and sometimes pencil. Dated September 25, 1012. If you look real close at the pic you can see the heading....

"The rode to  California as I seen it...."

People!! Do you just about want to fall over?? I did, and am still waiting for just the right time to sit and read every word. I sat there in the cold farmhouse, breath showing from both hubby and I, huddled among the suitcase, jars, and boxes of black and white pics and skimmed through the pages. A young girl's gentle and careful notes of a trip. Not glamourous or poetic writing. No embellishment for a blog, or one line statements for facebook or twitter. Just writing and telling of what she saw....
I will leave you with a little treasure....

"September 25, 1912
We got up at 3 o'clock in the morning and got on our train at 5:20. When we left Philip frost was on everything. And when we got into Cottonwood it was there to. And next we came to Quinn, then at 10 minutes past 6 we could see the Badlands. They looked like they had snow or frost on them, but it was only the color of the soil. We glide along now through small stations then we come to Rapid City we get off the train for we must change cars. We go in the depot and wait a while, pretty soon our friend 'Miss Doris Daily' meets us and we go down to her house for a while until time for our train. We get on train no. 9 after bidding her good-by. "


So my friends, who wants to take a train to California over the next few weeks with a 13 year old young lady from 1912?



4 comments:

Karen said...

OH MY GOODNESS. I can't WAIT for this journey!!!

bobbione8y said...

aaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaayyyyyyyyiiiii!!!

me, me too!!!! reading this was like a GIFT this morning!

ps. yes. i do also covet the turquoise case :)

cherk said...

So how would you like these installments ladies? A set date and time to look forward to and whenever the mood strikes me?

bobbione8y said...

whenever the mood strikes usually works best for the most heartfelt stuff :)