Tuesday, January 1, 2013

The three questions...

So Bobbi asked three very deep questions in her last blog-deep questions and reflection as we all do as the new year rolls around.
I figured if I wanted to respond deeply then I better do it now before my daily work grind sucks me dry of all my deep thinking ability. Hmmm maybe that should show up in one of my answers.

What are you going to keep? I am a total copycat, I have to go with the relationships. I don't see how a person can not invest the time in this. And I think my home relationships could use some attention. Not that they are "bad", but as we enter the threshold of two teens, one starting high school and the other middle school, my mental and physcial ability to give more to the kids in my house than those at my school is a must. I can say mentally, one has received far more time than the other. Which leads to...

What are you going to let go? Being liked. Four years into this job and slowly but surely I worry less about being liked. We all know deep down we want to be liked, and I am one of the worst people pleasers I know. It may not always seem that way I know, with my honest-to-a-fault talk and sometimes lack of filter. But when I have invested time, sweat, and tears in human capital and THEN am not liked, it is a little hard to swallow. BUT if this is my long term career I need to let go of the pleasing. Letting go of the pleasing and agonizing over it, will help with number one immensely I believe.

And lastly going to take on? Wow, I am good taker-oner, is that even a word? I don't care I like it, reminds of the "Onceler", to all of you Seuss fans. I can take on more exercise, better eating, more time with so-and-so, more reading, and the list of taking on goes ON. Here it is, I am NOT taking anything on. I am going to relax. There it is. I am going to give myself permission to relax and read all day. Or take a nap. Lay on the bed and play words with friends. Or sit and just sit. And not even the body-at-rest relax, but the really brain-at-rest relax. Because you see, if I can take on this small task- #1 and #2 will be soooooo easy. I just know it.

So there it is, Gosh I really hope I don't look at the blog from a year ago and see the same "take on" task. Uggg that would mean a multi-year goal. Exhausting!!

5 comments:

Karen said...

Love this!

I'm going to think on it and then give it a go myself.

I'm especially proud of you for number three.

Happy New Year, my friend.

bobbione8y said...

yay! i love it, too, esp. the LAST one! it takes courage to really really look at yourself and see that sometimes growth doesn't look the same as 'wordly' growth does!

oh. i just read karen's comment ;) ha. i should have just said 'ditto.'

bobbione8y said...

worldly. not wordly. are either of these even WORDS?!

:)

carey said...


oooh, good ones. good ones. now i also have to give this some thought. i always envy people who can just sit and BE. i feel like i have to EARN it first, with a super productive day and exercise and a clean house...perhaps that is something i need to let go of...thanks for the thoughts...

cherk said...

Carey-Holy cow did I just write that to myself?? Those are my exact roadblocks. I am coming close to an epiphany. Relaxing DOES not haveto be earned. Our bodies and mind need it, just as much as water and milk and supposedly healthy food, oh and wine. So lets all go relax!