Tuesday, January 8, 2013

A word

Karen posted on her new year's resolution, that is not really a resolution and then talked about some other ideas. She maybe mentioned a "word". An idea to think of a word that grasps you or tells about YOU. I had to tell you this small snippet about knocked me over.
Each year I pass out some little gift to staff, the first year was rock, the second year and ormanment. And on these little objects I write one words. All kinds of words. Then they pick their very own that means something special to them. I love it, they love it. Never gets old.

Early in the fall when I was at my wit's ends with kids for sooo many reasons, and none of them nice, I got to thinking about HOW. How can I impact in some small way for kids to understand that character IS important. What you do and say is CRITICAL. I came up with a word of the week. I thought of words like caring, believe, appreciate, strength, and so on. The first word was "think". I spent time finding the defintion, paraprhasing it, summarizing it and providig a little lecture all in paragraph form and I read it over the intercom each morning. As I tour rooms I ask kids about the word, are they practicing and so on. Student council carried it further and made posters titled "Be One" as in BE A THINKER, BE CARING, and so on...

So when it came to the annual Polar Plunge this year, and I laid in bed endlessly thinking of a theme, which really is the most important part. I wanted it to be unique, easy, catchy and yet profound. A cross between cool costumes like capes but yet meaningful. And at about 12:40 AM it hit me.

"One Word Wonders"
Black tees, black bottoms, maybe some funky knee high socks or funky leg warmers
And on the shirts each jumper shall have a word. Any word. Be....and their word. A word that tells us about them, or what they want, what they believe in. What keeps them going. Just a word.
Oh and maybe just a small cape.

So there it is the connection, a longer post than I had planned, definitely more than a word. But like Karen said maybe the long drawn-out lofty goals aren't always  best. Maybe simpler is better. Maybe one word, one step is all we need.

So, what's your word. I have 5 weeks to think of mine. I am sure it will come to me at 12:40 AM

4 comments:

Karen said...

WOW.

There's a word for ya. :-)

This is awesome. Going to go finish my one word post now.

carey said...

Excellent. Awesome. Way to think!
I love you!:)

My shirt would say "Be True." True to myself, true to my word, true to my heart, true to my God, a true friend.

Got yours yet?

bobbione8y said...

that IS an excellent thing this word thing - i sort of just got a vision of you at work when you mentioned talking over the intercom :)

i actually met with a client this morning who is going to do a monthly spotlight for his store every month with a 'word' to highlight.

his word is 'walnuts' which is kind of not the same thing :)

cherk said...

Karen-Loved your post by the way
Carey-Love your word, still working on mine, it may come to last minute as most things do
Bobbi-hmmm walnuts....