Thursday, November 1, 2012

Figuring it out

Week 3 of parent-teacher conferences. Week one MY school, week two Small Fry's, and week 3 and tonight-Big Fry's. Here is the deal, I DREAD parent teacher conferences. Not the ones at MY school, not usually anyway, unless I have some outlier parent lurking to pounce on me about something I know nothing about. Really people? With 630 kids I really don't always know everything that is going on or sadly EVERY kid.

I usually don't dread Small Fry's either-until last year when I was pounced on by the teacher and his imature, off task behavior. I listened when I really wanted to say "Umm ya, you didn't have the older one did you?".Small fry left in tears after that one, no one likes sitting there hearing non-glowing things, especially a perfectionistic Small Fry.(By the way his teacher rocked) So it made my heart happy when this year we had quite a different picture in all aspects, he loves being considered an awesome math student and gasp-a leader. It did his heart good and makes up for his lamenting about his lack of height-which has been weighing heavy on him.

So tonight was Big Fry's turn. Well our turn, we didn't take him along, it is to distracting for ME. We heard the usual things. "Late works affect grade", "Rushes through work", " Could get an A easily but you know, he just gets a little off the path". Then I heard the other parts. "Love him, could talk to him for hours" -this from the kindred spirit science teacher. "He is very respectful", "Really very bright", "Comprehending at a 12th grade level with the reading assessment.", and "I have to nag, but he is always good".

I didn't think much of it there, but I did think of it later as I pondered what to blog. I finally left a conference not worried, and dare I say maybe a little happy. And here is why. It wasn't the almost A comment or bright comment, it was the respectful comment that came up, more than once. See I texted my good friend Karen, and others that I share my horrible days with (not all the details-just my emotional venting in brief 21st century texting-venting style), that somedays I just DON'T GET IT. I don't get how some children, among my very own 630 that are just um, how do I say it with some PC, just not very respectful. And lets admit, not very nice, and downright not likeable. And not just one kid, one time, But a small minority and many times, over many years. In the words of Taylor Swift, "This is exhausting".

But here is the thing, I KNOW what I am doing, because I created, well we (Hubby) created a RESPECTFUL kid. It may not be evident every minute, or with his dear parents all the time, and he will mistep in the future. But do not underestimate the power of NICE people. We need more of it, and I will keep fighting the fight of creating nice children.

Even if it causes me gray hair (I can color it) and emotional eating of cheetos and wine every night. I really heard wine is healthy and well the cheetos, well, ok, maybe need another outlet.

4 comments:

carey said...

You are doing it JUST RIGHT and i KNOW those boys of yours are going to be amazing people, with their mother's good heart and humor. I feel so often like you are talking JUST TO ME when you write these posts. I get it. I get you. I get your kids. We have some hockey weekends in RC this year, let's plan an evening...I'll let you know!

cherk said...

Carey-That is what writing is all about-making a connection. I love that we can have one, even with the distance. Would love a get together, I may even be annoyed if you didn't call:)

bobbione8y said...

about the cheetos - all orange foods are allowed, some good - some bad :)

sigh. i cannot imagine THREE PT conferences. but it does my heart good to hear you say the word 'happy' about what you got from them. good job, my friend. :)

Karen said...

Yay, yay, yay!!!!! May ALL our kids choose the path of nice!