Tuesday, November 13, 2012

The rest of the story...

Ok, if you didn't read the last post, do that first.

Now here is how anniversary night 18 went down.
Started with multiple texts:
What do you want to do tonight?
I don't know... apps and a drink?
Sure, how about this new place_______ here is the menu link
Looks good (very good I thought)
Ok, they open at 5.

So at about 4 Small Fry calls to tell me he needs me to go to the grocery story, and by the way do I like licorice. Ummmm why... I am making dinner he responds, a surprise dinner for your anniversary! Ok... did you talk to dad we are going out, maybe another night. Silence...sigh, that's what dad said. Fast forward, he calls. Three times, "Ok, just don't eat dessert, pick me up dark chocolate cake mix and white, I am making dessert". Fast forward, rush through Walmart get necessary cake mix and rush home.

As I walk into the house and into the kitchen I see adopted child number 2 (aka neighbor friend of Small Fry) at breakfast bar, mise en place galore. He is using my potato masher to make meatballs from...wait for it...Pioneer Woman cookbook! Small Fry has his own mise en place for dessert, flour, oil and cake mix. Adopted child number 2 (Big Fry's best friend) arrives with Big Fry and dog in tow. The house is now full of 4 boys, one dog and ingredients all over the kitchen and floor, the dog to say the least is pleased. We debate. We decide go anyway as the big boys PROMISE to not pester and even help if necessary.

Fast forward to restaurant, beautiful in decor and then the menu is place in front of us. WHAT...7 things. 7 MEXICAN THINGS. That I can make at home?? Um ya the waitress says, we changed our menu last Wednesday. We grin. We bear it. We WILL eat out for our anniversary. We ask for the wine list, "ummm let me check with the bartender". I ask for a "glass of wine, Merlot".  Response "um ya uh let me check with the bartender, um well I can give you taste of something we have like it.". You see where this is going people, DON'T YOU. Hubby asks for beer. 5 minutes later, "umm ya we are out of the that". The decision is made, throw in the towel...

We pick up a bottle of wine on the way home, come back to a  whole and still standing house and semi clean kitchen where I help finish making surprise dessert, hubby makes surprise meatballs, I go to soccer, come back from soccer, do some laundry, wait for meatballs and with relish eat...dessert.

Like the previous post says, one big roller coaster. And I coudn't have chose a better person to take the ride with.

By the way bonus points for the first person who knows what mise en place means!

4 comments:

Karen said...

I did the whole mise en place thing tonight when I was baking bread! I should try that again sometime..

I think you had the PERFECT anniversary. I love how you can walk into a kitchen full of boys and meatballs and NOT freak out. I would like to think that I could, but I really don't know.

cherk said...

I will send you a pick of the meatballs...I was a little impressed. Small Fry said Adoped boy one made them

carey said...

you have to laugh. i'd take this life over sleeping on deflated bean bags and keeping milk cold in the open dorm room window any day, wouldn't you?

cherk said...

Carey-Heck ya...but sometimes life was just a little less complicated, but then again what fun would that be!