Tuesday, September 4, 2012

A little lonely upstairs

So what does one do when the hubby is a grump (even though he doesn't think so), and you have a huge faux pas by correcting him in front of the children of how he is being grumpy with said children for no reason. AND you can't even text your best friend about it because of a wee little texting argument the day before that just doesn't feel quite over yet. Blog, that is what you do.

The weekends event, hot, dusty, hot Aberdeen. Way better than hanging with the soccer crowd, just saying. Here is how I know. No refs get berated (there was a little complaining about the heat and taking too long), no one is gossiping about teacher or principals or other people-well around me anyway. All the moms scream for all the kids as if they were their own and Big Fry is always a big hit with the little riders, he is very entertaining.

Of course it isn't a sport if there isn't a little drama. Small Fry as usual has BIG visions of going to Aberdeen and kicking some, ummm you know what. He always underpeforms, not because he is outclassed though, because his head messes with him. He threatened on night one to QUIT after the weekend was over. In my excellent parent experience I may have said "can you do us a favor and do it now, saves us the 55 dollars for the rest of the weekend registration". Yep I admit it, I said it. Then I explained that if we really thought they were that much better we would TELL him. I then may have said, take a risk or stay in the back and just have fun eating road trip food all weekend. As usual, he perseveres and guts it out for Sunday when it counts, bouncing into the stands with the biggest grin. He finished not in the top three that he would have liked, but made the main race and wasn't last. I will take it.

Big Fry gets better each year, fought off some tough kids to make it into the main, a gate malfunction gave him a bad start but he stuck with it. We DID NOT stay for state plates, after the debacle last year. Big Fry's words this year were "We are NOT staying, after you said I may get a plate and my name didn't get called, my heart hurt the whole way home." So we didn't. But we did get the text that he go fourth place out of all the 13 year olds, he was estatic.

And here finally is why I love this sport. As 200 riders come and go from the gate with their matching jerseys pants, helmet and all the cool gear. Here comes Big Fry to the gate, AC/DC short sleeve shirt, with pads, beat up helmet and non-matching pants. I lament to the mom next to me about his lack of style and not going with the flow-what kid doesn't want those cool colorful outfits...she promptly replies "Ya well, and that is his statement in itself don't you think,you gotta love it"

Yep I love it, congratulations to both of you boys

5 comments:

carey said...

Big Fry is my kind of man. I love that you are a dirt bike momma, pretty sure me and my hillbilly roots would love this sport as well. Too bad Aberdeen isn't Mitchell, I would love to watch!

bobbione8y said...

a wee little texting argument

you are funny with the one-liners this week! ha.

you know, i'm glad to see that your kids have a sport that just kind of fits ALL of you. who knew it would be dirt bikes?!

i'm with carey (again) - my hillbilly genes love this kind of thing...! although i bet most of the participants are NOT hillbillys!

cherk said...

He he, I LOVE one liners. I am glad they AREN't dirt bikes, we must not get confused with motocross. No motors on these bikes. I do love that about the sport, the slogan is "no one sits on the bench in bmx". Umm afraid to say ummmm quite a few hillbillies

Unknown said...

Nice blogger....

Karen said...

Boy, they have come a long way. I think you have, too.

:-)