Sunday, August 7, 2011

Boys are boys

My last official day of summer vacation with the boys-just the 3 of us was Friday. SIGH. I don't know if it was one of our best summers. I felt it was a little cut short with weather and other stuff that came up, but focus on how we have MORE time than most families do so can't complain. I also had weird pangs of being a spectator. With the frys being 9 nd 12 I am not necessarily needed for every outing, and don't always feel like I am as engaged as I could be. You wait to be the mom at the pool who gets to sit and READ and then when you do that for awhile you look around and miss being the mom that HAS to be in the water. It is a transition for sure.

I have to say our last day was just as it should be. They chose Horse Thief Lake of course, they turtle and crawdad hunted to their content. Mucked around in the lake til they were muddy and exhausted. As the day ended and we hiked back to the car I came upon wild rasberries, a rare find. They were in awe, we picked small wild rasberries. I sat there listening to the "mmmmm" and chewing, and the "oh look at this one". I wish I had not neglected to bring my camera! As I stood there with the sun glinting off their hair-big fry's that gets darker every summer and tan backs-despite all the sunscreen I use, and listened to their carefree conversation and laughter I relished in being the mom of boys. Real outdoor boys. Boys who when given the choice will pick OUTSIDE over a movie anytime. Boys who can name the plants, find trails, catch animals with their hands, not squirm at eating raspberries off a bush.

Happy summer boys, I hope it was as good for you as it was for me, and in the years to come I hope you still include me.

3 comments:

carey said...

Love it. My boys are not quite the Tom Sawyers yours are, but I am not quite the Tom Sawyers mom you are either :) Wish school wasn't coming back to ruin it all. Dang that learnin'.

And appropriately, the word verification on this is forts :)

bobbione8y said...

That sounds perfect. I know. summer goes so fast, but I think you are building the kind of summers that will shape your boys forever.

Karen said...

Transition Mom sucks, that's for sure.