Friday, July 2, 2010

A first

I was going to share a really cool picture of our neighbor tomboy and the fort building but this just had to come first.

Imagine this, big fry and small fry walking through Reptile Gardens-which we go to multiple times a summer and see and do every inch of it. Now imagine hearing a strange noise, it is really indescribable-not a bellow or a moan but a NEW noise. It is coming from the usually quiet giant tortoise cage where we see a crowd gathered. I immediately think "Oh no, dying or mad tortoise, this cannot be good". As we approach I see a giant shell above the gate and on TOP of another shell-now another prediction comes to mind-ahhh it is coming to yours too I can see. The tourists are silent, taking pictures. I am not sure they know what they are videotaping being city slickers and all. The tortoise attendant silently watches on, I mean really, they have no script for this. Small fry looks at me and says "Wow what are they doing?" To the 11 year old, pre-puberty, all I-can-think-of-is-girls, nature loving, and very knowledgable future animal scientist there is no question and the shocked silence is broken with his giggle and a "Oh my gosh, I know what they are doing, they are mating" And with that the giant turtle falls over and almost on top if an unsuspecting tourist. Wouldn't that have made a great picture!

5 comments:

Karen said...

HAHAHAHAHAHAHA!!!

I wonder if Big Fry's statement clued in the City Slickers!

See you tonight!

(verification word is "chillyma")

cherk said...

You are making it tonight then! Fantastic and chillyma is right

carey said...

can't tell you how many times i had to witness this first hand as i stood in the tortoise yard working. and you don't want to know how many times a day that happens. or the fact that all of them (when i was there) are males.

bobbione8y said...

i bet turtle love kind of hurts ;)

cherk said...

Bobbi-That is hilarious
Carey-That is just weird