Thursday, March 21, 2013

All I Need to Know I learned in Kindergarten

Our first year of the adventure of all day kindergarten in Rapid City. It is March and right about now we are seeing the line between who was really ready for all day and which kiddos still need a nap.

It reminded me of one of my favorite books, like all time favorites. I mean so much that if you don't have it, tell me and I will buy it for you! The one that is called...you guessed it, Everything I need to know I learned in Kindergarten. You know, he has that nice "hold hands", "look both ways", "eat milk and cookies" warm fuzzy stuff in his chapter about kindergarten. Well, let me tell you friends that is hogwash, and defintiely not until first grade maybe even second.

THIS is what we really learn in kindergarten....

First month of little cold and hot pack lunches...Tears followed by "where are the McDonald's Nuggets and fries", and we are still trying to figure out that we open the milk where the ARROW is, not where it ISN'T

What's your name? Umm honey what's your name?? Drag kindergartener to office (because I was redirecting her) and ask secretary, "What is this kid's NAME" Teach your child to say their name, PLEASE

That it is ok to punch my math partner because...She took all the red chips

That it is ok to punch the person who asked me to share the swing.

That if someone steps on my shoelace (obviously untied because my parents don't believe in that magic stuff called velcro) and then causes me to trip, that it is perfectly ok for me to jump up and tackle them so bad the Fridge from Chicago Bear's days would be proud.

If you keep a pretend bubble in your mouth in the hallway, it is supposed to keep you quiet, notice supposed to.

That for the 100th time, no you can't make a gun with legos or the math cubes.

That you can't take that football home and pretend you got it from the treasure box.

That hiding under a desk and crying because someone cut in front of you in line will always get you a trip to see Mrs. Daniel. Always.

These are the things we really learned in kindergarten, and the most important one, that some you just still need a NAP!!



1 comment:

bobbione8y said...

oh, i am so still in kindergarten.

i bet you are getting ready for summer vacation, my friend :)